Sunday, August 18, 2013

Another busy weekend!

I've become quite the hat model lately, haven't I? Here I am at Grandpa Kan's house modeling yet another look. Looks like I'm either ready for rain... or fishing... my parents can't tell...


I had fun this weekend doing quite a few little things. First on Saturday, we met with Grandma Kan for lunch at Mimi's Cafe. Mommy and Daddy tell me this is the first time they've been back there since having my baby shower before I was born! It was also the first time I've sat nicely in the high chair without needing to picked up (this, however, didn't happen again all weekend much to the chagrin of my parents.)

Later that day, we went to visit my Great Grandmother Matsumoto out in Covina. They were have a party out there called a Luau!


Here I am all dressed up in my Hawaiian finest.






























And here I am with Mommy, Grandma Waki, and Grandpa Waki. They had food, little tiki torches, hula dancers, and even a person named 'Elvis' singing at the party. I don't know who that is but he did some catchy songs. I had a great time! Mahalo for the invitation!

On Sunday, we went to Downtown Tokyo to help celebrate Nisei Week! This is an annual festival held in Los Angeles since 1934 which promotes Japanese and Japanese American heritage and traditions. It's actually recognized as one of the longest running ethnic festivals in the United States.

We got to see bonsai trees, and calligraphary writing, and some needlepoint art as well.

But more importantly, we got to see Uncle Calvin perform with his Taiko group, LA Matsuri Taiko!


Here's Daddy holding me up while Mommy tried to get a picture of the Taiko group behind me.


That didn't work so well... :)








Ah much better! Thank you Uncle Calvin for the great performance!










And look! Auntie Althea came out to visit me as well! She's Mommy's roommate from college and a very good friend.

The last time she saw me was in San Diego and I was only a few months old.

She couldn't believe how big I'd gotten!


After the performance, we went to lunch with Auntie Althea. Towards the end, I wasn't too happy so we ended up going home a little early. Still... it was great seeing you Auntie! Hope to see you again soon!

That night, Grandparents Waki, Great Grandmother Matsumoto, my parents and I tried some Guatemalan/Salvadorian food at a new restaurant. They're known for their pupusas and make pretty much everything from scratch. Even their tortillas are super fresh!

Delicious!

Don't worry, Daddy was only letting me gnaw on it a little to ease my sore gums. I still haven't mastered the art of swallowing yet....













And finally, another milestone! This is what Mommy and Daddy caught me doing on camera... when I was supposed to be sleeping.

Yup! I can now get into a sitting position when I'm laying down. I only did it once or twice a week ago or so, but this weekend I've pretty much done it every night and in the morning, my parents always find me sitting up waiting for them.

Daddy lowered the mattress for me because now he's worried I'll climb out.

It's only a matter of time, Daddy........... only a matter of time.


Thanks  for visiting me this week, see you next week!

1 comment:

  1. Great job Joshua on getting up to a sitting position. Julia says that once you start pulling up, it's even more fun. And when you start crawling...your parents will be sooo tired.

    ReplyDelete